Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The story behind the couch.

Not this couch....





This Couch....



Did you know that we had another couch for a week? OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T! Because this couch was the bane of my existence from the moment we loaded it into our car. Here's why.

    Andy was getting a little tired of not having a couch, as was I, and I must admit I was being a little too picky. On an errand we spotted a couch at a small garage sale. 
     It was only $15, and it didn't look that bad, a few rips on the back but that's it. It's not really my taste, but as Andy said it's only $15 and at least we'll have something to sit on while we look for something better. A good argument, right? So I said yes.
     So we started negotiating with the man selling, who was very overbearing and tried to get us to buy anything he had. And I noticed his eyes. They were bright red, blood-shot. I got a little freaked out (and by a little I mean a lot), and tried to tell Andy that I changed my mind... but it was too late. This couch was ours. 
    We just bought an ugly couch from a drunk man. Oh dear. We're able to load it into our Escape keeping the back open. At our first red light I smelled it..."it" being the couch...and I wanted to cry. It smelled like a homeless man. Oh dear. 
    So the couch went on the back porch, and Andy, ever the optimistic,was determined to make it work. Reality hit the next morning, when upon closer inspection, he found an empty vodka bottle under the cushions. So now we were stuck with this couch. Then it started to rain. The couch came in. Shudder
     After a bottle of cleaner, another bottle of fabreeze the couch was bearable. Barely. I refused to sit on it, and occasionally, when the house was a little too warm, I could still smell "it". Ugh! After a week on craigslist, and A LOT of prayer, we sold it for $40!!!
    To Andy's credit (because this couch caused quite a bit of conflict resolution between us :)) he turned a horrible idea into a great one. And over doubling our budgeted money for furniture!
     

2 comments:

Kate said...

i love the quilt on the chair in behind the nasty couch. so pretty! :)

donnasue said...

I wished we lived close by so we could just unload our houseload of unused furniture. Oh my the story is hilarious though about the bargaining and reselling of a couch... you scored though with your gain of bucks. That's fantabulous.