Monday, April 30, 2012

Gardening in the present.


And here is my garden now! 


I added a few more bags since my first ones were doing so well.



And the best part is, when move I can take my plants with me!


Though we had quite the slug problem for a while. And it almost ruined all of my lettuce! But did you know that slugs like beer? Then they get drunk and die! I put fresh beer each night and there's always a dead one in the morning, so I think its working. My lettuce has just started to recover though.

This bag used to be brimming with lettuce. You can see it's just starting to make a comeback. 



Die slugs!


...


This year Andy and I are striving to live in the present and to say yes to more things. We both struggle with wanting to go out of our comfort zones, but realize some of the best things God has for us are outside of our comfort zones. Christ died so that we may have life, a full life. I find that I am my biggest barrier to having a full life. 

This garden was a step forward for both. I feared failing. That I would spend all this time, money, and energy and that it would all fail. Also, I want to live in the present. I kept saying, "one day when we own a house", or when we "settle down", then I will have a garden. The present reality is that we are renter's. But that doesn't mean that I have to wait to have a garden. 




1 comment:

jenny said...

So cool, Kellie. And I love what you said at the end. So true of all of us, I believe. Wish I could come see the drunk/dead slugs in the mornings with you. :)