Sunday, July 24, 2011

Church

One thing that I never figured would be a difficulty post college was finding a church. I grew up going to church each Sunday, knew all my friends and family through church, and even liked church; liked growing, serving, socializing. I married a woman who also grew up going to church, and therefore never thought it would be a difficulty to find one for us. But over the past year of marriage, leaving our college ministry, and many long talks with Kellie, my Dad, siblings and friends, I've realized that finding a church, and even liking church is hard.

Kellie and I had some conflicting ideas when it came to picking a church in Tucson, and therefore decided to spend a week studying what the church is about: why go to church, what to do at church, etc. We read parts of Acts and other New Testament passages as well as listened to sermons by pastor's John Piper and Mark Driscoll. This study was great and rejuvenated us to pursue a church in Tucson. But with a job on the horizon and the high possibility of moving, we never fully invested ourselves.

Now that we are here in Jackson, it seems only logical to plunge in and invest ourselves in a local church. There are two here that we have tried and love for different reasons, but one more so than the other. That one is called Redeemer Presbyterian. We love their theology and our goals in life seem to match up perfectly with theirs.

(here's Redeemer. we love their gospel choir!)


Now, I am one who wants to jump in, meet anyone and everyone, get involved in everything, and become a part of the family here at Redeemer. I mean, that is what we're supposed to do right? This is our future family, our future friends, our future community... we must go, go, go! Well, apparently, the Lord seems to be weaving a different story. Community groups and most Bible studies at Redeemer don't start up until the school year at the end of August. There is an inquirers class, but that too begins later, in September.

Initially, I was bummed to hear such news. Bummed that it would most likely take time to really get to know people at this church. But after talking with Kel today, I've thought that maybe this is good for me. Maybe finding a church isn't so much about doing it fast and hurried, but being patient and committing each step to our Lord. Maybe He is teaching me to not look out just for Andy but to now consider how we, Andy and Kellie, as a family, meet people, get involved and join a church. This is hard for me, definitely new for me, but I think a very good thing for me.

It's pouring right now! And thundering every 10 seconds :)

Thought you'd like a taste of Redeemer's choir   :)

4 comments:

jenny said...

Love this Andy. Yes, finding and loving a church is much like marriage, I believe. It takes a choice to choose and love it and stick with it even when you're not "feeling" it.

Love the choir. :)

And we had a huge MUCH NEEDED thunderstorm here this afternoon too. Great.

Janet said...

wow, i love your choir, really lively, and great music, are you guys going to try and join???
we love you and happy birthday Kellie, have a wonderful day

Andy Jeffrey said...

Yea, the choir is awesome! We are still waiting to join. We'd like to wait til other opportunities come up at church to get involved, like joining a community group, and doing the inquirers class in September.

Love you!

Barb said...

Jenny said it best! The Church is not perfect but hopefully it seeks to glorify the Lord in everything it does. Much like us - we aren't perfect but we desire to glorify the Lord in all that we do. Hang in there and God will lead you to meet the right people at the right time. And find your nitch! Love you both. I love the south and it's gospel music. :)
Love A Barb