Sunday, July 17, 2011

Plum Jelly and Chi-Chi's Salsa

Hey ya'll... Andy here. What a crazy two weeks it's been here in Jackson. It's not as different as I thought it'd be but there definitely are some things we're adjusting to. Like the humidity, for one. I mowed our grass yesterday (I bought a $30 pusher-mower off craigslist) and when I came back inside Kellie said she could see the sweat dropping off my face :) We can do heat...but humidity adds a whole new level. Another adjustment we're liking getting used to is everyone's friendliness. Both our next-door neighbors welcomed us with gifts and cards...and one of my co-workers gave Kellie and I some home-made plum jelly and cream cheese pound cake (I'm loving the food out here by the way).

But anyway, yesterday Kellie and I went on an adventure. And by adventure I mean a long, tiring, sweaty walk to our nearest grocery store. I was feeling antsy and wanted to get outside for a while so I convinced Kel to go on a walk with the goal of getting some ingredients for our awesome dinner. Here's how it went:

Here's my sweets ready for a good walk!




Enjoying a nice breeze and bringing our own bag. We are being quite sustainable yea? :)

Kellie's so excited to be walking on a super busy road ;)

Our final destination!

The tortillas (a poor selection compared to Tucson)

My kind of salsa :)


Just a glimpse of how nice most of the homes are around here

And... the delicious meal... which took a little too long to get. I think we'll drive next time.


7 comments:

Kate said...

ok...i can't believe someone would actually name their food product chi-chi's!! Hahaha! you should have got some 4 cheese cheese nips to go with it! :)
i love all the pics you posted. oh it looks so pretty and green in mississippi.
miss you.

jenny said...

Ah... I love you guys. I'm kinda nostalgic seeing/hearing of your lives, as it's TOTALLY reminding me of Trav's and my first year in MS. The simplicity of life, taking walks to grocery stores, dripping in the humidity, the friendliness of people. As much as it was a challenge, it was a good good time and I fell in love with the place. Love you two.

Andy Jeffrey said...

Thanks guys. Miss you too! Apparently there's a restaurant chain out here called Chi-Chi's :) Wish you could be here with us! We had our first guests over last night... they're a fun newlywed couple that we played Quirkle with!

Anonymous said...

Loved your travelogue. Looks pretty and inviting. So happy for both of you finding your niche in the south. When will the accent begin? or has it already started, yu'al? Love you, Nana

Betty said...

THANK YOU for having this blog ... I feel like I get a glimpse into your lives, almost like I get to spend some time with you. I hope the job's going well too. Viva la quesadilla (or burrito)? :)
Aunt B

donnasue said...

gosh you guys that looks so good i may just have to make me one for lunch! Aw this blog is so soothing to my mother's heart. btw how long was the walk?

Andy Jeffrey said...

Love you mom! I just checked and that walk was 3 miles long. Dang, no wonder we were tired :)